Foundation Parenting Class – Live in Grass Valley, CA
A Joyful Experience in Raising Young Children
“Annie is a brave and hilarious teacher. I have no doubt that the next few years of my life I will use something I learned from Annie every single day, and the value of that is incalculable.” – Dan, W.
Join Annie Keeling and other parents for 6 group sessions. Together, we’ll explore the pitfalls and traps that drive parents when trying to get their child to change behaviors. You’ll learn tools that really work and take away a blueprint to make parenting easier and your family connections stronger.
The punitive model of parenting – threats, coercion, yelling, shaming, isolation – yields immediate results but the cost is high. Not only does punishment often make the child feel unsafe, this outer form of control interferes with the child’s ability to develop self-discipline and responsibility from the inside. Just as problematic is the Wait-and-See method, hoping the child outgrows the behavior. Either of these can make for disrespectful or fearful kids and then, unreliable adults who have trouble managing themselves, especially in relationships. This class provides a chance to teach you and your child another way.
“I thought I would just love my child and the rest would fall into place.
Now I love who I am as a parent, too.” – Brie S.
Some of What Will Be Covered
- Misbehaviors: Not Listening, Tantrums, Hitting, Refusal, Sleep, Sharing …And More. Learn how to respectfully help your child with the toughest behaviors.
- Needs: Explore young children’s needs and the coping behaviors they use to get them met.
- Natural Authority: Define parents’ natural responsibility and how it fits into family-centered homes.
- Parenting Partners: How to work with the other partner and get the support and self-care you need.
- Whole Brain, Whole Body: Child development and how it relates to learning, behaviors, and parenting.
- Anger Snap: The actions, words, effects – and using pattern interrupts to break the cycle.
- Punishment vs Consequences: Replace threats, coercion, yelling, and punishment with positive corrective experiences.
- Thematic Parenting: Rather than be drained by addressing each situation, learn to use themes to make your parenting easier.
- Yes and No: Learn when to have Necessary Nos and how to use your Yesses.
- S.A.F.E: Stop doing the Happy Dance and learn how to help your child with resilience, big emotions, and self-control.
- Guerrilla Lovefare: Help your child learn with creativity, surprises, and a sense that you – the parent – have got this!
“Annie has an amazing ability to help new parents with common situations
and make them good problems!” – Shaun B.
Brainstorm with Annie during a “Discovery Seat” session where practical solutions will be found to meet your specific needs and frustrations.
Annie Keeling, MFA, is a parent educator, music teacher, dancer, writer, and mom. She teaches Start Small Parenting classes in Nevada County as well as Music Together for families of young children.
The program contains 65 combined years of early childhood teaching and family therapy experience. Annie teamed with her father, Gailen Keeling, a family therapist of over 45 years, to develop Start Small Parenting. She has a B.S. in Dance Therapy & Education from UW-Madison with an emphasis on early childhood education, an MFA in Dance from UCLA, and an MFA in Creative Writing from Goddard College. She also trained with The Center for Music & Young Children of Princeton, NJ.
In addition to parenting classes, she has taught early childhood music and movement classes for over 20 years.
Registration and Class Information
What: Parenting tools to build a respectful foundation for the early years
Who: For parents of young children (ages 2-5)
When: Sundays, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Dates: 6 weeks, February 4 – March 11, 2018
Where: The Nest, 107 W Main St, Ste. B, Grass Valley
Cost: $100 person / $150 per couple
Returnee Fee: $50.00
More Info: Annie Keeling • 530-210-1100 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Your payment confirms your registration and a confirmation will be emailed to you shortly.
(If the class is full you will be added to a waiting list. If no spots open, your payment will be refunded by February 4, 2018.)